Knowing what to pack for a day hike is key for a stress-free adventure. Our handy checklist covers the key essentials to pack, for a hassle-free hike in the Great Outdoors.
Checklist on what to pack for a day hike
- Waterproof rucksack or backpack
- Hiking boot and socks (+ spare pair of socks)
- Trekking poles
- Waterproof clothing (this includes a lightweight rain jacket/poncho, rain pants and synthetic/wool tops or fleece)
- Hat, neck warmer and gloves (if hiking in autumn/winter)
- A bottle of water (2 quarts per hiker) + energy drinks
- Vacuum flask & enamel cup (for hot tea/coffee or soup)
- Lunchbox (pack yours with carbs, protein and lots of nutrition!)
- High energy snacks
- Trail map
- Swiss Army knife
- A flashlight or headlamp
- Paper and pen
- Box of waterproof matches
- A whistle (ensure any children carry one too)
- Portable charger
- Camera (if you’re into photography)
- High factor sunscreen
- Insect repellent
- Duct tape (to patch up damaged boots, tents, etc)
- Emergency foil blanket
- Quick-drying microfibre towel
- Hand sanitizer
- Hand wipes
- Travel First Aid kit
- Pocket tissues
- Picnic blanket with waterproof side
- Waste bag
Plus these post-hike necessities (to be kept in the car)
- A fresh set of clothing
- Food and snacks
- List of contact telephone numbers
Book with Top Villas
Feel inspired to book a vacation home for your hiking holiday? Rest assured, whichever season you’re looking to stay, you’re guaranteed a first-class service with Top Villas.
Our exclusive villas, family-friendly townhomes, condos and cabins all promise a luxury vacation. Many are also pet-friendly. You’ll find our Guest Experience team also on hand to help enhance your stay, with a plethora of amazing travel extras.
What’s more, we make payments a breeze. Our new Affirm credit payment option* means you can spread the cost of your vacation rental over a 3, 6 or 12 month period. Simply look out for properties with the Affirm banner.
*Subject to meeting Affirm’s credit criteria. T’s & C’s apply.
Choosing our flex homes
Many of our vacation rentals also benefit from our new flex cancellation policy. You’ll be free to cancel within the specificed time for any reason, for a full refund. Alternatively, amend your travel dates for free.
To benefit from this extra peace-of-mind, reserve a vacation home with one of the following badges:
- Flex 14 – Cancel for a full refund or amend your dates free of charge, up to 14 days before check in.*
- Flex 30 – Cancel for a full refund or amend dates free of charge, up to 30 days before check in.*
*T’s & C’s apply.