Travel tips and advice from our blog
St. James Travel Guide
Located on the west coast of Barbados the parish of St James is home to the créme de la créme of gourmet restaurants, swanky resorts, pristine beaches, immaculate golf course and duty free shopping. Also known as the Platinum Coast guests from across the globe flock to our stunning luxury villas in St James for a taste of true tropical charm bathed in year-round sunshine.
St James beaches are a playground for the rich and famous and a haven for sun worshippers with powder white sands and glittering calm seas ideal for swimming, snorkelling, sailing and more. The strip starts on the outskirts of Bridgetown with Batts Rock Bay, Prospect, Paynes Bay and the exclusive Sandy Lane Bay. Here you will find two of the most prestigious gold courses in Barbados located at Sandy Lane and Royal Westmoreland hotel.
Head away from the beach and you will find Holetown, the third largest town on the island and home to the first English landing in Barbados in 1625. The town boasts great duty free shopping with three shopping malls - Chattel House Village, Sunset Crest and West Coast Mall selling designer items and local goods. There are also plenty of fine dining restaurants, art galleries, and historic attractions such as St James Parish Church - the first Anglican Church built in Barbados.
Other churches in St James include St Silas Chapel, St Albans Church and St Frances of Assisi that was often visited by Frank Sinatra himself! Check out the Portvale Sugar Museum and the many small villages in and around St James where you will find local shops for arts, crafts and more as well as numerous rum shops, pretty cricket greens, colonial architecture and plenty of friendly locals waiting to give you a warm Bajan welcome.
Sports enthusiasts will love the Polo field at Holders House and the Folkestone Marine Park located north of Holetown which is excellent for snorkelling, diving or a ride in a glass bottom boat to spot the stunning marine life. The area also hosts plenty of colourful festivals, street parties and lively events. With easy access to all this and more it’s easy to understand why our guests return to our luxury St James villa rentals year after year.
Beaches in St James
Otherwise known as the Platinum Coast it’s easy to understand why visitors flock from all over the world to the legendary west coast beaches of Barbados. St James is home to an array of beautiful beaches and bays perfect for swimming, snorkelling, star-spotting and relaxing in paradise - just a step away from many of our sumptuous beachfront villas in St James.
Top 5 Beaches in St James
- Ju Ju’s Beach - Ju Ju’s boasts calm seas and pearly white sands plus a lively beach bar and excellent water sports facilities, a great place for all the family.
- Sandy Lane Beach - This luxurious beach is the place to be seen with crystal clear waters, white sands, colourful coral reefs and plenty of superstars to spot.
- Paynes Bay - This St James beach has something for everyone with beach chairs for hire, shaded areas, calm waters and water sports including jet-skiing and catamaran sailing.
- Folkestone Park - Part of a marine park this beach features an artificial reef perfect for snorkelling and diving.
- Brandon’s Beach - Located on the outskirts of Bridgetown this beach is known for its clear and calm waters. Caribbean cuisine and cocktails are available here at Weiser’s on the Bay.
Shopping in St James
Barbados is famed for its great duty-free shopping with prices much lower here than in Europe and packages easily delivered to the airport for added convenience. Holetown in St James is home to a range of craft and gift shops as well as a Chattel Village area with chattel house style stores selling souvenirs, gifts, clothing, arts and crafts.
Best Shopping in St James
- Limegrove Lifestyle Centre - Located in the heart of Holetown Limegrove features designer clothing, jewellery and home ware shops, several restaurants and a boutique cinema
- Tides Art Gallery - Found in the Tides Restaurant in Holetown expect to find colourful Caribbean artwork by local artists.
- hattel Village - A lively combination of traditionally styled shops in Holetown. Set in tropical gardens great for browsing and enjoying the scenery.
- Super Centre - A chain store offering a wide selection of imported goods, with a bakery and deli serving freshly baked goods and local dishes.
- West Coast Mall + Sunset Crest - Located in St James these duty free malls offer designers items, local hand-crafted goods, food and drink.
Sports & Activities
St James has plenty to offer sports lovers including a polo field at Holders House. The annual Holders Season event is held here every February when the grounds are transformed into a stage for colourful theatre, music and art productions. The island’s two most prestigious golf courses can be found in St James as well as excellent water sports facilities, boat trips and cruises, cricket, tennis, horse racing, hiking and more.
Best Sports & Activities in St James
- The Country Club at Sandy Lane – One of the most prestigious golf courses in the world.
- Barbados Polo Club – Located at Holders Hill the club hosts regular polo matches and offers polo lessons.
- Good Times Catamaran Cruises – Exclusive cruises on a 42ft catamaran located on First Avenue.
- Royal Westmoreland Golf &s Country Club – An exclusive country club with a world-class 18 hole championship golf course spread across 750 acres of lush landscape.
- Sea Spray Water Sports – Water based activities for all the family including sailing, diving, snorkelling and turtle watching. Located in Palm Avenue.
Things to Do in St James
There’s so much to do in St James just moments from your luxury St James vacation rental. Visit the Folkestone Marine Park for excellent diving, snorkelling and marine life spotting or check out historical sites such as the Portvale Sugar Museum, St James Parish Church and Holders House. Enjoy some of the best duty free shopping in Barbados and take advantage of exciting activities and entertainment for all the family. With something for everyone St James is the perfect Top Villas vacation destination.
Top 5 Things to Do in St James
- The Holetown Monument – This historic landmark in Holetown celebrates the first English landing in Barbados in 1625.
- The Country Club at Sandy Lane – This golfer’s paradise is not to be missed with its immaculate greens, picturesque lakes and wide rolling fairways.
- The Boardwalk, Holetown - The perfect place to take a stroll and enjoy the warm sea breeze, tropical beaches and stunning sunsets.
- Chattel Village – Located in Holetown be sure to visit this traditional village for plenty of local arts, crafts, rum and island architecture.
- The Holetown Festival – Held every February this lively parade features an array of local crafts, food, drink, music and more.
Restaurants in St James
St James offers an impressive selection of restaurants to suit all tastes, whether you prefer a romantic meal by the sea or more casual cuisine St James has something to satisfy every appetite.
Top 5 Restaurants in St James
- Bajan Blue – Perfect for fine beachside dining this gourmet restaurant in the Sandy Lane Hotel serves spectacular European, Caribbean and Asian influenced cuisine.
- Lexy Piano Bar & Bistro - Take a stroll along Second Street, Holetown and find this lively venue where you will find live entertainment, great food and a selection of beers, wine and cocktails.
- Cin Cin By the Sea – Located in Prospect this contemporary ocean front restaurant serves med-style with fare with a tropical island twist.
- The Tides – A fine-dining establishment located on the water’s edge in Holetown serving fresh seafood, vegetarian dishes and sumptuous cuts of meat.
- Cariba – A Caribbean-style restaurant serving a variety of curries, meat dishes and fresh seafood.
About St.James Villas
St James is known as the Platinum Coast of Barbados and is home to the créme de la créme of luxury villas in St James. With an abundance of fine dining restaurants, luxury resorts, exclusive beaches, swanky golf courses and duty free shopping nearby it’s easy to understand why our guests return every year to our fabulous holiday rentals in St James.
Situated in exquisite beachfront locations and exclusive gated communities our vacation rentals in St James offer true luxury living in lush tropical island surroundings. Our breath-taking villas in St James have plenty of space for families, groups of friends, special occasions or corporate events and are sure to impress even the most discerning guests with magnificent amenities and stunning views.
Our luxury St James villas offer something for everyone with spectacular accommodation, designer furnishings, en-suite bedrooms, private swimming pools, stunning sun terraces, state-of-the-art amenities and much more!
- Stunning beachfront or private resort locations
- Boat docks and private marinas with some homes
- Watersport equipment
- Beautiful interiors
- Entertainment rooms
- Private swimming pools and hot tubs
- King-size beds and en-suite bathrooms
- Modern kitchens, dining rooms and al fresco dining areas
- Numerous terraces and balconies with ocean views
- Located near to the beach, town, restaurants and bars
- Perfect for entertaining, special occasions, weddings or corporate events.
We can take care of everything from flights and car hire to day trips, private chefs, spa treatments, wedding planning, catering and more.
Barbados 174 in St. James
5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
Luxurious 4 bedroom private villa directly on the beach at Reeds Bay in St.James on the West Coast of Barbados.
St. James homeowner?
Need more bookings, or a better management company?
List your villa today and become a member of the world's most exciting luxury villa rental website.
Need a better management company? We can provide comprehensive property management services to meet the needs of both homeowners and tenants.
Thespina - St. James
We're available 24/7 to offer help and advice, just call 1-866-341-8086 or contact us another way.
Luxury 3 bedroom apartment, beachfront and beautiful sunsets
This luxurious and elegant 3 bedroom private villa is located directly near the beach in St James on the west coast of Barbados
Essential 3 bedroom villa with stunning sunsets and private plunge pool
Luxury 2 bedroom apartment, with stunning sunsets and surrounding gardens
Essential 3 bedroom villa with beautiful views