- Sleeps 10/14
- 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 6 WCs
- LARGE PRIVATE 12m x 6m POOL
- ON THE BAMKS OF THE DORDOGNE
- STUNNING RIVER VIEWS
- 4 AIR CONDITIONED BEDROOMS
Good to know
- Cales, 5 miles.
- Souillac, 7 miles.
- Sarlat-le-Caneda, 14 miles.
- Brive airport, 25 miles.
- Bergerac aiport, 57 miles.
- Kayaking, riding, golf, fishing, all within reach.
- Indian forest adventure park, 17 miles (30 minutes).
This exceptional private chateau in Dordogne enjoys a dominant position on a hill with spectacular views of the river and surrounding countryside. This is a luxurious and stylish retreat, completely private, with a huge stone fireplace, comfortable furnishings and attractive decor, terraces overlooking the river, and an impressive conservatory-style dining room. Built in the warm-coloured local stone, this atmospheric 15th century chateau is simultaneously cosy and spacious, full of character and very welcoming.
No matter what the composition of your group, you will find plenty here to do for everyone. This region is of course famous for its caves (grottes) with their ancient wall paintings and spectacular stalagmites and stalagtites: Chateau de la Riviere is ideally placed if you want to visit some of these, such as the Gouffre du Padirac just a few miles away. The Dordogne region is also famous for its good food and wine and, as an additional bonus, just a short drive from Chateau de la Riviere is a luxury chateau hotel with a Michelin-starred restaurant. Also within easy reach is the significant little town of Rocamadour, France's second-most visited destination (after Mont St Michel). Many sporting activities are available nearby, ranging from canoeing/kayaking on several rivers, to fishing, horse riding, hot-air ballooning and cycling. Or why not simply take a boat trip along the Dordogne itself in one of the distinctive, traditional flat-bottomed gabarres and soak up the wonderful scenery?
A stay at this wonderful private chateau in Dordogne would not be complete without a visit to the bustling and attractive medieval market towns of Sarlat-le-Caneda and Martel, where you will find good shops and restaurants, pavement cafes and, of course, excellent markets. This would certainly be a holiday to remember for a very long time!
- Covered porch with two adjacent entrance doors, one to a self-contained ground floor unit comprising:
- Double bedroom (1.80m) with doors to garden, ensuite bathroom, separate WC.
- Double/twin bedroom (1.80m or 2 x 0.90m) with air conditioning, balcony terrace overlooking the river, ensuite bathroom, WC.
- Split level living room (TV, CD, DVD, video), large feature stone fireplace, sunken seating area, doors opening onto the south-facing dining terrace with country views.
- Guest WC
- Conservatory style dining room overlooking the river, billiard table.
- Kitchen with additional dining area, door to dining terrace.
- Double bedroom (1.80m) with lovely views, air conditioning, ensuite bathroom and separate WC.
- Double/twin bedroom (1.80m or 2 x 0.90m) with air conditioning, small sitting room, ensuite bathroom with corner bath, WC.
- Double/twin bedroom (1.80m or 2 x 0.90m) (TV), air conditioning, sitting area, ensuite bathroom, WC.
- A wooden staircase leads to an upper level utility room/ maid's room.
The Chateau is set on steeply terraced, partially enclosed grounds. The private pool is set above the chateau (many steps) with river views. Care with young children please. Outdoor dining, barbecue, covered terrace in separate 'tower' with beautiful river views (low walls - care with children). Parking for 3-4 cars.
- Winter Heating
- 3 hours maid service mid-week
- Chef service
- Additional maid service, 30 euros per hour
- No Internet Access.
- No Telephone.
- Sofa beds for 4 extra people on request
All villas come equipped with bed linen and towels, cutlery, utensils and usual furnishings required for a self catering rental. All villas have a final clean included (this is a clean that reflects reasonable use of the property). Unless specified, villas will usually have a washing machine, dishwasher, microwave, kettle and other modern conveniences. These are not usually specifically listed on the property description online, however please ask if the presence of one of these items is important to your stay