With Halloween just a day away and thanksgiving within sight, you might want to start thinking about Christmas. If you revel in the thought of a snowy winter wonderland but can’t hope to experience a ‘White Christmas’ at home, you can make sure of one in Florida! It’s an unlikely setting when Florida boasts a year-round warm and in some parts, tropical climate.
Just 5 – 6 miles south of DisneyWorld you’ll find the town of Celebration, a Disney creation. This town was actually built by Disney in pre-1940s style as a home to the perfect community. It has all the usual amenities and one you might not have expected, a complete straight through road to the Disney theme parks. You’ll see locals walking, riding bikes or driving electric cars here in their efforts to be green. If you want to join them you can hire an electric car, a bike or a paddle boat.
Christmas in Celebration
Christmas is magical as you’d expect in Celebration. The month-long festivities start immediately after Thanksgiving with ‘Now Snowing’.
This year, festivities start for the 14th Now Snowing on Saturday 24th November with the lighting of the Celebration tree. The ceremony takes place between 5 – 9 pm and the star of the Christmas show, Santa will put in an appearance. The first ‘snowfall’ of the season will happen at 6 p.m.
For the following month, you can take your pick of Christmas merry-making:
- Get snapped with Santa
- Take a ride in a horse-drawn carriage
- Skim around the ice rink
- Listen to the strolling Charles Dickens Carollers
- Get caught in the snow storm
- Ride the Celebration Christmas Express
- Catch Hello Kitty storytime at Sanrio
All great photo souvenir opportunities – just right for next year’s Christmas cards too.
If you miss the opening ceremony don’t worry, Now Snowing is on until December 31st to make all your Christmas Wonderland wishes come true!
PS A little birdie told me that the best place to get caught in the snowstorm is beneath one of the bird boxes (the source of the snow) on the decorated lampposts.
Now Snowing at Celebration Details
- 24th November – 31st December
- Free admission and parking
- Snowfall nightly on the hour at 6, 7, 8 and 9 p.m.
- Ice Skating open 4 – 10 p.m. cost $10 per ½ hour
- Horse & Carriage rides $25 for first 2 passengers, $10 for each additional passenger
- Special tours to see the towns lights $25 per person (tour last 30-40 minutes)
Remember you will only be able to get a photograph with Santa until 24th December
- Ride on the Celebration Express for $5 or buy your ticket in advance for $4 from Confetti, Market Street Gallery or Sanrio Surprises
- Storytime is at 6.30 or 7.30 every night and is FREE. Stories are read by special guests
After the fun of celebrating in Celebration you can head back to your Orlando villa to enjoy Florida’s real climate.